Mecklenburg Ministries’ Youth Leadership Council is an interfaith group of high school leaders who meet monthly, September through May, to address issues in our city, build interfaith/interracial relationships, and serve the community.
Mecklenburg Ministries’ Youth Leadership Council has…
• Joined in a Cardboard Campout in solidarity with homeless neighbors
• Created an anti-bullying curriculum for use in Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools
• Participated in the Homeless Awareness Walk
• Piloted “Teen Dialogues” for the RACE exhibit at Discovery Place
• Helped lead the interfaith Thanksgiving Service for 1,600 people
• Spoke for “Conversation at the Crossroads” about building trust across differences
• Planned a conversation for youth from across the city with front page Charlotte Observer coverage
High School Youth
City-Wide Cardboard Campout
March 7, 2015
Did you know…
- On any given night, there are approximately 2,014 people, including those in families, experiencing homelessness in Charlotte-Mecklenburg County.
- Our community needs over 16,000 affordable rental housing units, with or without services, to prevent and end homelessness.
- Over the course of an academic year, there are approximately 4,770 children in the Charlotte-Mecklenburg school system who report being homeless, living in motels or doubled-up.
In response to this maddening increase of homelessness among our neighbors and within our community, the Mecklenburg Ministries Youth Council sponsors a Cardboard Campout, previously held annually before every Chris Wolf Homeless Awareness Walk. Though Mr. Wolf is no longer with us, his legacy lives on and we are excited to continue on with this educational and inspirational experience!
All high school youth, grades 9th-12th, are encouraged to join us on Saturday, March 7th at Park Road Baptist Church (3900 Park Road) for a night of fun and camaraderie! Activities will include a participating in a poverty simulation, listening to speakers from diverse backgrounds, decorating cardboard boxes that will become our beds for the evening, joining in small group discussions, and much more!
Here are the details:
Who: High school youth, grades 9th-12th. We recommend attending as a group, but individuals can register as well. All faiths are welcome (and encouraged!) to join us; school clubs and/or organizations are welcome as well!
When: Registration will begin at 5:30pm on March 7, and the event will last until 9:30am the following morning (March 8).
Where: Park Road Baptist Church, 3900 Park Road
What to Bring: Each participant is strongly encouraged to bring his or her own cardboard box, (refrigerator or appliance boxes work best); sleeping bags and warm clothes. We also request that participants leave their electronics at home.
How: Fill out the online group or individual registration form by Feb 22, 2015. Permission forms for each youth participant must be emailed (firstname.lastname@example.org) or mailed to MeckMin (PO Box 11243, Charlotte, NC 28220) by March 4.
Chaperones: Each group must have a 9-1 student to chaperone ratio.
Cost: $10 per person (scholarships available, just ask)
Cardboard Campout Online Group Registration DEADLINE: FEB 22
Cardboard Campout Online Individual Registration DEADLINE: FEB 22
Cardboard Campout Permission (required) DUE: March 4
For questions call or email: 704-565-5455, email@example.com
** Please send completed forms to firstname.lastname@example.org or Mecklenburg Ministries, 3900-A Park Rd., Charlotte, NC 28209